Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Birthday Wish

There comes a point in your life when you have to turn into a mature and responsible adult. According to conventional norms, it comes when your age turns 21. Indeed, I am turning 21 in July. As the months progressed this year, I see my friends celebrating their 21st with parties and what-nots. I sincerely wish them all the best and may they be granted of long-lasting happiness. For more sadness in this world now just won't help.

Being a private person, I don't like the big HOOHA when it comes to birthday. Just being with my family feels right. And having good food amongst good old friends will cement a smile on my face. Or you know what, just a good undisturbed sleep. Its really just another birthday. Another year has passed. 21 years of age. When I was a kid, I truly could never imagine turning 21. I thought that somehow my life would end before I could reach 21. To others perhaps unimaginable but to me, I couldn't imagine or vision a life beyond 21. Now that, I'm here, the future looks unpredictable. As if, anything could happen. And my actions seems to reflect the nature of future. To elaborate, I do the most unexpected of things. Making decisions on impulse. Like donating blood without telling my parents. Or going to strange places. Attending talks and lectures. Attending to the endless flow of questions in my mind. Maybe everyone does enter such a phases of life. Maybe.

Turning 21 is huge in the legal aspect. You get to vote. You get entitlements. You get more responsibilities. Yo get more pressured into doing 'adult' things like get a job, get married, have kids. You have to think as an adult. Whatever does 'adult' mean? Is it purely defined by the number of years you exist on this Earth? De jure, 21 seems to be that number.

My family and relatives think I'm matured and responsible. They have no idea. Okay, perhaps, I am more responsible because I know what my priorities are. Matured? Ummm, sure why not? Let's just keep others thinking that I'm that.

Birthday wish... Hmm, what's the point? I won't even be in Singapore with my family on my birthday. I'll probably be sitting in front of my laptop, blogging about how miserable I am away from home on my 21st birthday. Let's see how what happens when that day comes shall we? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment