Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bloody affaire

On the 8th of June 2012, Friday


I saw the dark red colour of blood flowing out of my left hand. It was a shock then it became thrilling.
This has always been one of the things I have been dying to do since the last time. Blood donation.


On a gloomy and rainy day, I left the house to meet up with my very good friend to catch up and have lunch. Before that, we went to the Bloodbank. I hadn't told my family where I would be going or what I would be doing. But I still went and donate blood. The Bloodbank is conveniently located in the north where I live.
I'm nervous about going there alone, not knowing what may happen there and after donation. I could have fainted at the sight of a needle or the sight of my own blood. To be honest, I was a tad confident that day. As if the invincibility potion flowed through my veins.

The Bloodbank is actually a bright and welcoming place. It was a pleasant surprise. Registering, check-up and some blood tests went as smooth as a baby's bottom. Before heading into the brightly lit room of donors, machines and what-nots, I grabbed a pack of Milo and drank on the spot. Just a last minute (futile) effort in increasing the blood glucose level. Also, the staff there are ever so friendly and helpful. And off I went into the room, there were three other men in the big, white-washed and spacious room. Large LCD screen TVs on two opposite sides decorate the walls. I felt so welcomed and safe. Upon sitting on the huge cushioned lean-back chairs, a lady quickly provided me with a blanket. Warmth. It had been raining since morning that day. 



As they were preparing the equipments, my gaze fell on the view outside. The windows covered half of the wall, providing a view of the skies and the building next to us. The clouds were still in a foul mood, projecting a gloomy forecast. But that surely did not dampen my spirits. 


The senior nurse walked towards my chair, alcohol swab stroked the crook of my left arm. A cooling sensation. Then, she revealed the needle. As she was about to insert it into my skin, I looked to my right, avoiding the scene. I would rather feel the pain than to see me subjected to that pain. Ouch! It felt like someone pinched me so quickly that there was no lingering pain. And so, I began pumping my left hand, gripping and releasing my fist. The dark red blood flowed just like a river flowing out to sea. I touched the bag containing a pool of my blood. Warm. How pleasant! I never thought I could feel the warmth of my own blood. In less than 20 minutes, they had collected enough blood. The needle was out and I pressed a swab of cotton. I didn't feel drained at all. It felt invigorating actually. It was a nice feeling to be able to donate blood, sharing the gift of life. As healthy human beings, we often take for granted, the very fluid that sustains us everyday, every minute, every second. With the gift of life flowing through our veins, it is our responsibility to share this gift. That's how I feel.

After many thanks and Milos, I left the Bloodbank for a much awaited lunch. My next Bloody Affaire would be in September. 






~Salam~

1 comment:

  1. i did donate my blood once n it was last year. nice experience. the best part i was doing my intern, n since they gave me the MC i gave it to my boss and went back home. hahah XD

    Silla

    ReplyDelete