Monday, May 3, 2010

Night To Remember

It was a night to remember. Going into unchartered territory has always been a hobby and an awesome adventure nonetheless.

Time stated to assemble: 6.30pm
Actual time of assembly: 6.45pm
Time to reach destination: 7.00pm

Actual time upon reaching destination: 7.10pm

Destination: Bussorah Street

Mission: To have a night of scrumptious farewell dinner

Indeed, we went in search of a much talked about restaurant that has been receiving copious excellent ratings. From Bugis MRT we walked. It wasn't hard to find the place. You just have to make sure someone in the group has a good sense of direction. So it was getting dark. Fear not, for we could see the great golden dome of the ever majestic Masjid Sultan in the distance. That will be the landmark to guide us towards our destination. Silently, we turned corners, going down alleyways. Then we stepped onto Arab Street. For a second, I thought I could travel in time and thats why I'm in a 1950s kampong kind of setting. But my hopes were dashed and I discovered that Arab street and subsequently Bussorah Street have been like that all the while. Their preservation of shophouses are amazing. As you walk along the streets, you'll have to be prepared for a feast of the eyes. First you'll notice the quaint and simple two-storey shophouses lining the streets. Upon further observation, you'll notice the influence of Malay, Arab and British cultures in the beautiful architecture with the adorable antique windows and doors. Much of the influence were on the food for the variety of food today is astounding. There were still many people in the area though night was soon approaching. I saw a shop selling colourful fabrics and fanciful designs of shawls. Wished I could have stopped at the shop but I restrained myself. We have to complete our mission.

So we continued walking on...
To the right and to the left, there were restaurants ranging from Western to Turkish cuisine. It was a feast for the eyes and nose. The smell of hot delicious food filled the air. At last, we reached our destination: Vintage Delicafe. A modest looking restaurant with a homey feel to it. Since it looked like it wasn't going to rain, we dined alfresco. Even before we were sitted, a lady came out to serve us already. Talk about prompt service. Menus were given out, cold fresh water came flowing in. It took some time to settle on our dinner. The variety of food was certainly there. I settled on fish and chips while the rest had pasta and related dishes. It all looked the same to me actually... The wait wasn't long at all. We had much time to catch-up, reminisce of the good old school days and comment on the general ambience of the place. Slowly but eventually our food came. My Goodness! The fish and chips was truly worth the money. Not only was the fries and the fish abundant, the sauce was good too. YUM! Dig in everyone :D After the main course, we went on for dessert. The dessert was another well-prepared meal. We ordered: brownies with ice cream, ice cream with brownies(yes, such desserts do exist) and tiramisu with mini pie and ice cream. When we ordered, we didn't know what to expect. But upon receiving our desserts, I was so sure that at least one of us was going into a diabetic coma. It was one of the sinfully delicious desserts I've ever had.

The fish and chips I was talking about. Look at the size of the fish!

My brownies with ice cream :)

The left, ice cream with brownies. The right, tiramisu with mini pie and ice cream. Both are truly worth our money.

Dining alfresco, we were treated with this beautiful sight all night.


After the sudden spike in glucose in our bloods, we rested for sometime. Sat there, taking photos, people watching. Then, I tried to make noise with the glass. You know, passing your finger over the border of a wine glass, producing a high-pitched noise. After much futile attempt and stubborn determination, I succeeded! Woohoo! It was pretty loud I realize. Then the rest joined in except Sharanya. Girl, you promised to do this trick in the air plane. Keep to your promise:D  After much childish behaviour, we paid the bill and off to home we went. It was quite late already considering the time needed to travel home. Before leaving, we just had to take random photos. Memories like these deserve to be captured on polaroid. We saw the masjid and took photo in front of it. We saw a tall robot and took a photo together with it. I saw a lamp post and hugged it in an attempt to pose with it.

Soon after, we ended our little night rendezvous. Our taste buds fully satiated. Our curiousities fulfilled.
A memorable night it was. To celebrate the temporary departure of a dear friend. I hope you won't be gone forever. I wish you could stay and study in Singapore. I'll always be wishing for the best for you.


Love this post-sunset photo. The pink hue in the sky made my day.


~Salam~

No comments:

Post a Comment